welcome to BMS Link
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New comms method

4 posters

Go down

New comms method Empty New comms method

Post by skiv71 Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:19 am

Hi,

At present, BMS Link require's the use of the elite silicon network/usb server to connect USB device's such as the RFXtrx433 and Zstick to the system.

The main reason's for doing this were: -

a). connection of USB device's in a VM can be a right pain

b). direct connection of the USB devices, restricts your options in placing the transceivers in the most central location within your property.

Recent changes to the z-way server have prompted me to explore other options.

The elite silicon unit (and its driver) is only compatible with the linux kernels found in ubuntu 10.04.

However, the newer z-way server's require a more up to date linux kernel.

With this in mind, I've begun testing in using the Raspberry Pi as a network device bridge.

I've been successful in using the RaZberry GPIO board, RFXtrx433 and Zstick, all from the RPi.

This makes for a neat little solution and since a great deal of users already have a RPi with RaZberry GPIO and/or RFXtrx433, they'll be able to try and use BMS Link with little or no further expenditure.

I intend to supply a working image file, which users can simply write to an SD card and BMS Link takes care of the rest.

Regarding the z-way server, as with the current Zstick interface, BMS Link runs the z-way server itself, so its inherently more stable due to its integral nature.

Please post your opinions Smile

Thanks

Neil

Last edited by skiv71 on Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total
skiv71
skiv71
Admin

http://bmslink.co.uk:8180 [guest:guest]

Back to top Go down

New comms method Empty Re: New comms method

Post by Moreno5 Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:46 pm

Thanks Neil, good job with working on this.

I think I will continue with netusb as I have one now, but can see how users with all this equipment would prefer this instead of having to buy the netusb from Maplin.

I have multiple RPI's in my house running XBMC, would be good if they could somehow increase the range of the whole system....probably not possible.

Moreno5

Back to top Go down

Post by skiv71 Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:14 am

Just an update...

I've been working on the code for using the RPi as a network gateway (which is working nicely).

Once the various interfaces are discovered (i.e. RaZberry, RFXtrx433 and Zstick), the way in which each interface is started will be different to the current setup.

So much so, that I'm considering dropping the network/usb server altogether (when I'm ready to introduce the new RPi gateway).

I'm also planning to introduce support for direct connection of USB devices (via your VM software) so you'll also have that option available to you too.

Would be pleased to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

Neil
skiv71
skiv71
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Moreno5 Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:13 am

Annoying, but if it has to be done then so be it. I would rather you have control over it than some random company who will never update the netusb.

Moreno5

Back to top Go down

Post by skiv71 Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:17 am

Yes indeed, my thought's entirely.

An the Raspberry Pi is a lot more common place and relatively easy source (compared to the net usb server).

Definitely the way forward Smile

Neil
skiv71
skiv71
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Moreno5 Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:20 am

Yeh that netusb seems to be only sold at Maplin, and you know they are seriously inflated prices.

I will try to acquire one on ebay as they go for about £25 with all the kit, will a 4gb SD be ok? I will be connecting the RPI directly via LAN, is this OK?

Moreno5

Back to top Go down

Post by skiv71 Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:23 am

Yea that'll be fine and a LAN connection is the preferred method.

It's a known fact that any wifi usb device will draw considerable load and will hog a USB port.

Also, wifi connections are not recommended for server style instances.
skiv71
skiv71
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Moreno5 Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:24 am

Thanks Skiv, I will get on it!

Moreno5

Back to top Go down

Post by sp1ke Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:12 pm

I'm currently evaluating some options including domoticz & bmslink. So I'd be very interested in any eta's for an SD card image for RPi

sp1ke

Back to top Go down

Post by skiv71 Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:02 am

Hi sp1ke,

Thank you for your interested in the BMS Link system.

I've completed works that will enable the RPi to run as a network device server and I've been running it for sometime now, giving it a thorough test, but all appears good.

I've also just completed work to implement a full logging system.

Before I release the image (and file's for those who want to try it manually), I just want to complete works that I have in progress to optimise the new zway interface.

I'm on with this now and hope to have it completed by the end of this week.

Neil
skiv71
skiv71
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pete252 Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:23 am

Really looking forward to this, my netusb has been a weak link in the chain for me. I have to reset it on an almost daily basis, then have to reboot the bmslink which is so frustrating when trying to log temps and humidity from the RFXCOM. Razberry on the Pi has been quite stable after a few hiccups when I updated to the latest firmware and server.

All the best to everyone for the New Year. santa
pete252
pete252

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum