welcome to BMS Link
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Installs fine but cannot connect

2 posters

Go down

Installs fine but cannot connect Empty Installs fine but cannot connect

Post by davew21 Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:10 pm

Running Win7 Pro with Virtualbox, image imports with no problems but cannot connect to the web login page, ipconfig /all on the host machine reports the host ip of 192.168.0.25 (which is correct) and also 192.168.56.1 which appears to be the VM network adaptor, the network interface is set as bridged (as default) in the VM settings, I can ping both addresses from my other machines on my network but even if i try to connect to the IP (either one) that the BMS Link should be visible on I just get problem loading page - unable to connect.

I have even made sure that for testing purposes the firewall on the Win7 host is switched off but still getting the same results.

Does anyone have any ideas, this is driving me nuts !!

Thanks

Dave

davew21

Back to top Go down

Installs fine but cannot connect Empty Re: Installs fine but cannot connect

Post by skiv71 Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:17 pm

Hi Dave,

I've tested your particular set up and it should work just fine.

With the VM guest network adapter in 'bridge mode', the bmslink instance should pick up a LAN IP from your subnet DHCP server, which is typically your router.

Are you able to log into your router/dhcp server to confirm the leased IP?

Assuming you can, it should just be a case of pointing your browser to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If you router/dhcp server handles local dns, you should also be able to logon via [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Are you on skype or similar instant messaging service?

I'd like to help further.

Regards,

Neil
skiv71
skiv71
Admin

http://bmslink.co.uk:8180 [guest:guest]

Back to top Go down

Post by davew21 Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:40 am

Hi Neil, firstly please accept my apologies for not replying sooner, a family emergency had to come first (all sorted now though)

After checking my virgin (not so super) super hub I discovered no ip had been assigned to the vm, despite it seeming issueing ip's to other devices, a reboot has solved this and now I can ping the vm, logging in is now fine but took along time to load the the page, this I know is my fault as I was trying to use something that was as low power as possible so I had a an Intel atom based machine 1.6ghz (64 bit) with 4 gb of ram running win7 pro which is fine but it obviously doesn't run vm's quick enough.
I understand why you went down the vm route as it makes it hardware independent but is there a way to run it as the only o/s so a lower power machine could be used ?

Thanks for your help and for all your hard work

Regards Dave.

davew21

Back to top Go down

Post by skiv71 Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:57 am

Hi Dave,

I have experimented with several low power PC hosts in the past couple of years.

All the ARM derivatives are way too slow, even the new RPIv2 (even though this was the best of the bunch).

So, leaving ARM behind, I tested some x86 architecture, including the atom based PC's. As you found, its still a comparatively weak system.

The final lower power PC platform I tested was the intel NUC 1.1ghz. This was successful and seemed like the answer, but as you mentioned, not a good move making a system's current incarnation dependent on a specific system.

This is why I moved to virtualisation.

If you're still interested in the low power solution (like I expect many would be), I've recently purchased one of these...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It's an excellent piece of kit, low power, passively cooled and is faster than the 1.1ghz NUC.

Hope this helps Smile

Neil
skiv71
skiv71
Admin

http://bmslink.co.uk:8180 [guest:guest]

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: