welcome to BMS Link
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Installation problems

2 posters

Go down

Installation problems Empty Installation problems

Post by wesser Thu May 08, 2014 4:28 pm

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong here.

I am running Win 7 Pro 64bit with VMware Plaayer installed.

I have followed the instal guide but when trying to access via web browser bmslink seems to resolve but goes no further just times out connecting.

Any ideas??

wesser

Back to top Go down

Installation problems Empty Re: Installation problems

Post by skiv71 Thu May 08, 2014 6:18 pm

Hi Wesser,

You should be fine with that operating system and Virtual Machine host.

Does the virtual machine boot to the linux login ok? (visible from the VM host software).

Are you using [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to access the system?

If so, and that's failing, can you do a test ping to see if the host, 'bmslink' does infact resolve to a local IP?

Some routers don't handle 'local dns' very well.

Incidentally, all instance's report back to my central servers and i haven't seen any 'new' instances come online.

Sounds to me as if BMS Link isn't actually starting and/or it has no connectivity.
skiv71
skiv71
Admin

http://bmslink.co.uk:8180 [guest:guest]

Back to top Go down

Post by wesser Fri May 09, 2014 11:07 am

Got it working now.
I think it was a networking issue with VM and also DNS.
I have swapped from bt router DNS to my own dns server and all seems good.
Just need to start playing and try to build my own system.
How do I license for 1 LWRF wifi link?

Thanks Wes

wesser

Back to top Go down

Post by skiv71 Fri May 09, 2014 12:41 pm

Hi Wes!

Glad to hear you got it working, well done Smile

You can obtain a license key for your wifi link (or any other interface) by first logging into the 'super' user account and entering your choice of registration email via the envelope icon.

Then make of note of the interface serial number (by hovering the mouse over the relevant graphic).

Finally, please send an email to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], with details of: -

registered email
interface serial numbers

... and if you'd like easy remote access to your system, a unique id to prepend to the bmslink.co.uk domain.

i.e. wesser.bmslink.co.uk

Thanks for your support

Neil
skiv71
skiv71
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wesser Fri May 09, 2014 12:47 pm

Thanks Neil,
Email sent.

Wes

wesser

Back to top Go down

Installation problems Empty Stella z

Post by wesser Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:22 am

Hi Neil,
Have you had any experience with the Stella z rad valve?
I got a few zwave toys for Christmas and having problems with most.
My fibaro movement sensor includes ok but I am unable to change several settings, there are lots of options showing up but most un editable.
The fibaro dimmer works ok.
The Stella z valve will not even include, I have returned it once but the replacement is the same.
When the batteries are fitted and I press the blue button, the valve opens and closes but no matter how many times I try, it will not include. I have tried excluding first but nothing happens.
This all appears to be zway issues not bmslink.
I'm getting frustrated as I now have a few hundred pounds of zwave devices but nothing seems to work reliably. Zway seems to be the weak link.
Are there any plans to upgrade the built in zway server instance within bmslink?
I am tempted to try an aeon stick with domoticz just for testing although bmslink looks by far the better solution.

wesser

Back to top Go down

Post by skiv71 Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:48 am

Hi Wes,

The fibaro PIR sensor's do work well, but I've noticed on several units I've included that the default group 3 association is wrong.

It seem's to be looking for node 112, which I'm guessing is due to the firmware its loaded with. This is easily sorted using the expert command page for the relevant node. Assuming your controller is node1, you'll want to set associations, group 3 to node 1.

After this, the only setting I change is the controller auto off time (parameter 6), this is set to 30 secs, but I prefer 15, so again, in the expert command page, look for configuration and select parameter as 6, value as 15 and size as 2 and hit set.

The dimmer's might need a few option's changing, depending on your switch plate type. I think the default is bistable (like a standard on/off switch), but you are best changing the switches to momentary then selecting type as mono stable.

Yes, I have 12+ of these StellaZ TRV's working with the z-way-server resident within bmslink itself. I do recall, the first time I used these, it did appear a problem to include and the manual is sort of vague as to what to do.

These are the list of operations and their functions.

1/. Press the blue button with the tool quickly wakes the device. It will also put it back to sleep too.

2/. Press and hold the blue button for about 3 sec's, see the green light flash and the motor will back the valve off to install position. A must if you are mounting/unmounting.

3/. Press and hold the blue button for over 5 secs, see's the light go to red. This is node frame mode, used for inclusion/exclusion.

If you have a TRV that is new or not part of any network, when you put the batteries in it'll flash red indication auto node frame (inclusion) mode is initiated.

As long as your controller is in inclusion mode, it should see the node frame info and add the device.

Now, when including (and this goes for all devices), various interview's need to complete before the device is truly available. Sometimes, these don't all make it, but instead of excluding/including etc. you should first select expert mode (from the bottom right) and scroll down to show interview results. From here, you can force a re-interview for the missing results. If the device is main's this should happen without further action, but in the case of a battery device, like the StellaZ, a single wake click to the blue button should see the device clear.

Regarding domoticz, I think the preferred z-wave interface software is openzwave and from what I read, it doesn't have half the functions required to use the StellaZ TRV properly.

I'm just about to release new update's to BMS Link, with logging, the new RPi gateway mode and you can also direct connect your device's now (zstick and rfxcom).

I've also re-written the z-way server interface software and its a vast improvement, with lower demands on the host VM/PC.

Part of this update, will also see the netusb depreciated too.

If you have time, please come on skype Smile

Neil

skiv71
skiv71
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by skiv71 Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:09 am

Oh, while I remember, some important information regarding device inclusion with any Z-Wave controller.

Even though the Z-Wave system support's mesh networking and routing between listening nodes (i.e. mains) to broaden the range of your network, when you include a new device, you must be with direct (no hops) range of the controller.

Once the device is included, you can then move the device to its natural location and if it used to be out of range, but you do have a routable device between the controller and your device, it will now work.

Practical example...

If you look at my install, you'll see I have a garage, which has a fibaro dimmer. This distance is too far for direct inclusion, but I do have a TKB plugin socket in the nearby annex bedroom.

So, using a test lead (mains lead with ends chopped, stowed in connectors), I powered up the dimmer in the house and included it direct.

Once done, i took the dimmer back the garage and installed it. Now, since the dimmer is part of the network, the TKB dimmer becomes a hop and everything works as it should Smile

I had to do a similar thing with the StellaZ (due to size of the house), but its even easier, since they are battery powered.

I simply removed the TRV from the valve body (press for 3 sec's for install mode, then using the 2 prongs, released the StellaZ). Now, with the StellaZ in my hand and making sure I'm in direct range of the controller, I include as normal. Once done, I was able to refit to the valve body and everything works right.

Regarding mesh networking, in my house, I have dimmers in the room, so they are routable and my boiler relay is mains (so also routable). Also, the annex bedroom plug socket extends the network further.

HTH

Neil
skiv71
skiv71
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wesser Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:16 am

Hmmm, no green light on the Stella.
I had the same with the previous valve which has been replaced.
The valve goes through it's calibration routine but nothing else seems to be happening, no lights.

wesser

Back to top Go down

Post by skiv71 Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:27 am

That's strange... and any lights etc. are independent of the controller.

1 press to wake (green)

press and hold for 3 (green flashes and valve back's off for install mode).

press and hold for 5+ (light goes red).

One thing worth a mention, is the batteries, I've noticed the TRV will declare around 30% with real value of 1.4v.

If you can get them, I recommend energiser lithium AA's (silver and blue). They last ages Smile

Asda were doing a good price
skiv71
skiv71
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down