welcome to BMS Link
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jumping in at the deep end.. :)

2 posters

Go down

Jumping in at the deep end.. :) Empty Jumping in at the deep end.. :)

Post by Phelzier Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:52 pm

Hi folks,

I'm fairly new to this home automation stuff but I have jumped in at the deep end and trying to find something that fits my needs, hopefully this is it...

My setup is as follows:

17 Lightwave Dimmer Switches
40 Lightwave Double Sockets
1 Lightwave Dusk/Dawn Sensor
1 Lightwave Single Channel Thermostat (Not in use at present)

16 StellaZ TRV's
20 Fibaro Multisensors (Not delivered yet)

1 Owl Energy Monitor

1 Vera3 with RFXTrx
1 Lightwave Link (Not in use at present)

3 Axis 3025-VE Camera

1 Dell R620 runing ESX 5.5 (always on)
1 ReadyNAS 3000 with 8TB storage
1 Cisco WS-C35660G-24PS
1 Cisco 2500 WLAN Controller
2 Cisco AP's

VLANS Server
Cabled Clients & Wireless Clients
Guest Wireless (Cannot access above two VLANS)

I did originally have the Lightwave TRV's but sent them back as could not get them configured on iPhone, could be something in the config between wifi controller and layer 3 switch, don't think it's designed for that environment.
I currently use the Vera3 for my automation programming, but am finding some limitations and "features" that don't work as I think they should. I currently have my Vera 3 with RFXTrx in the upstairs hallway to get the best coverage around the house.

What am I looking for or what do I think I am looking for?

The ability to turn off all sockets and lights when in "night" mode. Works with Vera at present (most of the time)
StellaZ's do not seem to be too reliable on Vera and would like to control the valve using the Fibaro temperature.
Turn heating on and off depending on status of Stella Z's
Turn extractor fans on/off when humidity reaches set point in bathrooms.
Turn lights on when light level below certain value and when movement detected
Turn off lights when no movement for 20 minutes
Control devices smoothly from an app on phone. Vera app can freeze or lag due to number of devices, I think.
I was goint to have "Main" Controller in loft with a second and third controller on each floor. In case of power outage Main controller turns on Lighwave Socket controlling Second Controller which turns on Lightwave Socket contolling third if main controller can't reach.

Sorry for the war and peace but wanted to detail my environment as much as possible. I'm ok with servers and network but know nothing really about programming and Linux.

Do you guys think that BMS Link would meet my needs or am I being too fussy?

Thanks in advance
Phelz

Phelzier

Back to top Go down

Jumping in at the deep end.. :) Empty Re: Jumping in at the deep end.. :)

Post by skiv71 Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:41 am

Hello again Phelz,

Yes, you can do all of the above with BMS Link, but there's no app needed.

All software based interaction's are via the same web portal, which you can access via virtually all compliant web browsers.

No problem with linux as the user doesn't need to do any Smile

If you have a large installation, BMS Link supports multiples of each interface (i.e. z-way, rfxtrx433, wifilink).

However, the simplest and best way forward is to take advantage of the Z-Wave mesh feature (with suitably placed mains/listening nodes).

Another thing worth a mention, is if you upgrade the antenna of the RFXtrx433 with a 2/3dBi variant, the range increases substantially.

Also, assuming Z-Wave is on the cards (looks that way with all your gear), you'll want to invest in a Raspberry Pi (maybe v2?) and a RaZberry GPIO card.

If you need any further help/advice, feel free to add me on skype (skiv211271) or google hangouts (skivy71[at]gmail[dot]com).

Neil
skiv71
skiv71
Admin

http://bmslink.co.uk:8180 [guest:guest]

Back to top Go down

Post by Phelzier Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:42 am

Thanks Neil. Very Happy

In terms of the aerial, they all seem to be in China.  Would something like this be ok? edit: Can't post link. Search this on ebay "ANTENNA I BAR 433MHZ +3DBI 2M Aerial & Satellite Equipment - BG88467"

I like Z-Wave and the MESH capabilities of the devices although I would need to find pop some mains devices up round the house.  I assume like most battery powered devices, the better the signal- the better the battery life.  The only issue for me is ensuring compatibility and getting the right signals too and from the devices.

I do love the Lightwave stuff too as the sockets and switches are very plug and play and look stylish too.  The only downside for me is they are only one way and it would have been great if they could have reported their status back to the controller.

I downloaded the your software last night and installed on my ESX, will post another message on the installation thread. Wink

Phelz

Phelzier

Back to top Go down

Post by skiv71 Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:50 am

Hi Phelz,

Yea there's plenty in China, but I bought this (from a UK source): -

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It's much better than the supplied antenna.

Regarding signal, that'll make no difference to battery life, only wake - wake time and in the case of TRV's, modulation will.

The Z-Wave mesh system allows you overcome any range issue's, but if I was doing a very large install, I'd go for multiple controllers.

The newest update (still in testing) allow's you to use the Raspberry PI and a common device gateway.

This allow's you to place your transceivers (RFXtrx433, RaZberry, Zstick [with z-way]) in the most central location within your property.

Not massively important for Z-Wave, but really helps with RFXtrx433 (433Mhz).
skiv71
skiv71
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by skiv71 Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:55 am

Had a look at that ebay item, looks like it has potential.

As long as its 433Mhz and the fitment is right (SMA male) you should be good
skiv71
skiv71
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum